St. Francis de Sales College was founded in 1956 Archbishop Eugene D’Souza. He was assisted by Fr. M. M. Balaguer S.J., who laid the foundations of the College. The College, with a modest beginning in S.F.S school, Sadar, Nagpur, was shifted in 1957 to the ‘New Castle Building’ also known as the ‘Red Building’, on Seminary Hills.
The College was started with Pre university Science class. In 1958 Fr. M.M Balaguer S.J at the helm as Principal of the college, conceived and drew up a Master Plan for the college buildings and departments. As a result of his efforts the first phase of the new building, equipped with spacious lecture rooms and science laboratories was constructed in 1959. The complete College building now houses the administrative office, laboratories and classrooms. Focussing on excellence, the College has now become one of the premier educational institutions of the city. Few milestones of the college are: