Department of Political Science
The department came with the establishment of the college itself in 1956. Nagpur University gives Gold medals to the students of Political Science for getting the highest marks in the subject. Students have been given Gold medals by the Nagpur University. Students who received Gold medals are:
|Sari Krishna||3 gold medals||1996|
|Ku Smitha||1 gold medal||2001|
|Manoragan Oyam||2 gold medals||2003|
The students have been helped in preparing for Civil Service Examination. The students who have selected for the Civil Services are:
Bachelor of Arts (BA) with Philosophy as one of the subjects.
Syllabus is as per Nagpur University. The department is fully granted and course is recognized by R. T. M. Nagpur University.
|SEMESTER – I||PAPER- I : POLITICAL THEORY|
|SEMESTER – II||PAPER-II : WESTERN POLITICAL THOUGHT|
|SEMESTER – III||PAPER-III : INDIAN GOVERNMENT AND POLITICS|
|SEMESTER – IV||PAPER-IV: STATE GOVERNMENT AND POLITICS|
|SEMESTER – V||PAPER-V : COMPARATIVE GOVERNMENT AND POLITICS (With Reference to UK and USA)|
|SEMESTER – VI||PAPER-VI : INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS|
Department conducts three unit tests and one preliminary examination before they are sent for University examination.
Students are supposed to pass the preliminary examination otherwise they are not allowed to write University examination.
75 % attendance is the criterion for getting University examination Hall Ticket.
Department do not have Honours course but pass course with the combination of various subjects like Political Science, History, Economics, etc.
Admission is as per university norms by merit.
|Prashant Dhenge||—||Ad-hoc Teacher||—||—|
Students of the department refer central liberty of the college where we have books on various subjects. Previous years question papers are available with department and college.
- Every year National / State Seminars are conducted by the department. Department has already conducted National / State Seminars on various subjects like:
- Terrorism – 2002
- Indo-Pak Relation – 2003
- Minorities in India – 2004
- Religion and Politics – 2005
- Indo-U.S. Relation and Combating Terrorism – 2006
- Secularism and National Integration – 2006
- Caste, Class & Religion – 2006
- Empowerment of Women – 2007
- Nuclear Disarmament – 2007
- War against Terror – 2007
- Eminent Scholars from all over India are invited to speak on various subjects.
- Students of B.A- I are taken to Maharashtra Legislative Assembly – winter session every year for one day visit. The idea has been to know the functioning of Indian Parliamentary System.
- With student’s initiative, a visit to Indian Parliament was also organized in 2003.
- There is a provision for guest lecture in the Department. We had already guest lectures in the department of Political Science. They are:
- Prof. N.K Jha, University of Pondicherry.
- Prof. A.P. Vijapur, Aligarh Muslim University.
- Prof. Trolley Howard, Cincinnati University, Ohio, USA.
- Prof. Laura Jenkins, Cincinnati University, Ohio, USA.
- Prof. Ram Puniyani, IIT Bombay.
- Dr. Asgar Ali Engineer, CSSS, Bombay
Some prominent Alumni of the department:
- Sari Krishnan: SBI Bank in U S A
- Kapil Saratkar: IPS Ramashwaram, Tamil Nadu.
- Bipin Deshmukh: IRS Bombay
- Amit Sadanshiv: Indian Railway A. S. M. Nashik
- Kenny Jose: Editor, The Week, Kerala.
- Sanjay Mishra: Criminal Lawyer in Jamshedpur.
- Sandhya Jaiswal: Computer Software Company, Singapore.