Student Induction Programme (SIP)
Till 2019-20 SFS College was conducting Orientation programme to the new students. From 2019-20, has been renamed to Student Induction Programme as per UGC guidelines.
About Induction Program:
The term Induction is generally used to describe the whole process whereby the incumbents adjust to or acclimatize to their new roles and environment. In other words, it is a well-planned event to educate the new entrants about the environment in a particular institution, and connect them with the people in it.
Purpose of Student Induction Programme is to help new students adjust and feel comfortable in the new environment, inculcate in them the ethos and culture of the institution, help them build bonds with other students and faculty members, and expose them to a sense of larger purpose and self-exploration.
SIP Report 2019-2020 :
Student Induction Program “Deeksharambh” for the session 2019-20 was organized at St. Francis de Sales College, Nagpur on 30.07.2019 in the college auditorium. Around 370 students from B.A/ B.Sc./ BCCA/ BCA first semester attended the program. The program began with a brief welcome from the Principal Dr. K. T. Thomas. He motivated and encouraged the students to be actively involved not only in academics but also in sports, extra and co-curricular activities. He said the college lays emphasis on the all round development of the students and also nurtures proper attitude and builds a strong value system in them.
The Student Induction Program was divided into two parts. In the first half of the program the students were familiarized with the workings of the college through a series of lectures and PPTs delivered by respective cells and association heads. The second half of the program was activity based.
Fr. Praveen D’ Souza gave a brief introduction of the history of SFS College right from the time of its humble beginning in Sadar to the present building with all the amenities. He also gave a brief introduction of former Principals and their contribution to the growth of the college.
Dr. Sanjay Sarwe spoke at length on academics, distribution of marks, the examination pattern, ATKT system, mentoring system and the criteria required to be declared the Best Student of the college in their final year.
Dr. Roy George spoke about NSS. Dr. Vasudev Hirulkar spoke about NCC. The cells and associations of the college was introduced by Dr. Purabi Bhattacharyya. Mr. Halim Ahamad spoke briefly about the stringent rules and punishment regarding ragging which is prohibited in colleges. Dr. Vasudha Pradhan spoke about the Placement Cell. She gave a brief introduction to the working of the cell and the companies which visit to place the students at the end of the UG program. Dr. Ashwini Paradkar introduced the library to the students through her PPT. Mr. Ashirwad Satyam, the former student who was the recipient of ‘The Best Student Contributor’ 2018-2019 gave a motivational talk to the students and spoke about his growth and journey as a student at SFS.
The second part of the program was activity based. The students were divided into five groups of 70 each and different activities for half an hour each were designed for them to acquaint them with the college, its surroundings, and the teachers.
The following activities were planned:
- Creative art & cultural activity: Here the students were given a platform to showcase their talent. The program involved a ‘Talent Hunt’ and several students came up on stage to perform dramatics, sing and dance. Few recited poetry and few shared jokes.
- Motivational & Educational Clips: These were shown to the students in the AV Hall. After the clips were shown, a discussion was held wherein the students came forward to air their views.
- Language Proficiency Module: A language proficiency & effective communication module was planned for the students. Different activities were planned and students were given exercises wherein they had to write the script of an advertisement, tell a story, give a book or movie review, role play, give a general introduction of the self etc.
- Visit to the Library: Dr. Ashwini Paradkar spoke about the library resources and facilities available. She also told the students about Nlist and Akshar Forum. The students were encouraged to write for the college annual magazine, SFS HEIGHTS.
- Familiarizing the students with the laboratories and the college: The students were taken around the college so that they can get acquainted with the building, the classes, labs, common rooms etc. HODs of the Science and Computer Science departments showcased their exhibits and spoke about the labs and how experiments were conducted.
The program concluded by taking the feedback from the students.